A wooden fence will always add value to your home. It is beautiful and durable and can last for over 15 years. If you give it proper maintenance, it can last for longer than 20 years. The fence material is cherished for its aesthetic versatility and excellent resistance to rot and decay. You can always get more out of your wooden fence if you know what needs to be done.
At Superior Fence Company, we provide total fence installation and maintenance services in San Antonio and the surrounding areas. We use only high-quality materials and the latest installation techniques and equipment to achieve optimal customer satisfaction. We would like to share a few tips to help you extend the service life of your wooden fence.
1. Avoid Contact with the Soil
If you want to extend your wooden fence’s life, make sure that the fence posts are not directly in contact with the soil. If they are, this increases the chances of decay. The moisture in the soil is the main cause of decay in wood. Besides, erosion and irrigation can cause the ground to move down. If your fence is already in direct contact with the ground, you should rework the posts by filling the holes with concrete.
2. Inspect the Fence Annually
It is recommended to check your fence once a year for any signs of rot or damage.
- Look for broken boards and loose screws or nails
- Check each section to ensure they are properly fixed to each other
- If there is any lean, check the posts
- Check the locks and hinges on the gates for proper alignment
- Set the sprinklers to prevent the fence from getting wet
- Look for any signs of moss growing on the fence
- Trim the vines and bushes to prevent them from holding excess moisture around the fence
3. Regular Cleaning
Make sure your fence is cleaned using a power washer once in a while. It should discharge 1500 to 2000 lbs per square inch of pressure. Proper cleaning should ensure the removal of dirt, graying, moss, and mildew.
- Scrape off any peeling paint or moss until you see the wood
- Get any damages repaired
- If there is any mold, mix bleach and mild detergent in a 20:80 ratio and spray before washing
- Use a power washer with at least 15 spray tips
Make sure the panels are fully dry after the cleaning. Proper gear is recommended when cleaning the wall. This is important to prevent infections and diseases.
4. Seal & Stain Your Wooden Fence
Use a water-repellent sealant to prevent moisture from damaging the fence. Staining can play a big role in extending the service life of your fence. It shields your fence from the elements. It is recommended to mix a sealant with a stain for additional protection. You should stain the fence at least once every 2 years. The frequency can vary depending on the type of conditions in your area.
It is best to hire the services of an experienced and licensed fence installation and maintenance company to ensure the longevity of your wooden fence. At Superior Fence Company, we provide comprehensive fence installation, repair, and maintenance services throughout San Antonio, TX and the surrounding areas.
For more information about our services, kindly give us a call at (210) 600-3343. You may also send us a message using this Online Form.