A wooden fence is more than a boundary for your property; it’s an aesthetic statement that enhances the charm of your home. Renowned for its natural beauty and durability, a well-maintained wooden fence can serve you well beyond 15 years, even reaching upwards of 20 years. At Superior Fence Company, we’re committed to helping you maximize the longevity of your wooden fencing. Serving San Antonio and nearby areas, we use top-tier materials and state-of-the-art techniques to ensure your fence stands the test of time. Here’s our guide to keeping your wooden fence in prime condition.
- Soil Contact Prevention:
- Key to Longevity: To significantly extend the life of your wooden fence, ensure that the fence posts don’t directly touch the soil. Soil moisture is a primary culprit for wood decay.
- Solution: If your fence posts are already in contact with the ground, consider reworking them by setting in concrete, which helps prevent decay and shifting due to erosion.
- Annual Inspections:
- Regular Checks: Conduct a thorough inspection of your fence at least once a year. Look for signs of rot, loose hardware, or structural damage.
- Maintenance Tips:
- Repair broken boards and tighten any loose screws or nails.
- Ensure each fence section is securely attached.
- Check gate hinges and locks for alignment.
- Adjust sprinklers to avoid direct water spray on the fence.
- Remove any moss or vines that could trap moisture.
- Comprehensive Cleaning:
- Effective Cleaning Method: Use a power washer with 1500-2000 psi pressure for deep cleaning. This helps remove dirt, graying, moss, and mildew without damaging the wood.
- DIY Steps:
- Scrape off peeling paint or moss to expose the wood surface.
- Address any mold with a bleach-detergent solution (20% bleach, 80% detergent).
- Utilize a power washer with a minimum 15-degree spray tip.
- Safety First: Always wear appropriate protective gear during cleaning to prevent health hazards.
- Sealing and Staining:
- Moisture Protection: Apply a water-repellent sealant to shield your fence from moisture-related damage.
- Color and Protection: Staining not only enhances the fence’s appearance but also provides an additional layer of protection against the elements.
- Best Practices: Combine a sealant with a stain for maximum defense. Reapply every two years, or more frequently depending on local weather conditions.
Professional Services: For optimal results and fence longevity, consider professional installation and maintenance services. At Superior Fence Company, we offer comprehensive solutions for fence installation, repair, and maintenance in the San Antonio area.
For detailed information about our services or to schedule an appointment, call us at (210) 600-3343 or reach out via our Online Form. Let us help you ensure your wooden fence remains a beautiful and enduring feature of your home.