A pool is indeed a great addition to your home, both as a recreational space and as a fitness amenity. However, having a pool also requires installing the necessary safety features. If you have kids or pets at home, pool fences are a must-have. In fact, pool fencing can help to avert major accidents and save lives. At Superior Fence and Co., we are one of the leading fencing companies in San Antonio. We carry out various fence installations and repairs, with our experienced professionals delivering excellent services.
What are the top pool fencing tips to keep in mind?. The risk of drowning is always present when kids are near pools without adult supervision. However, the same risk is also applicable in case of pets. Although we usually know dogs to be good swimmers, not all dogs can swim well, especially when they grow old. This makes it necessary to implement certain pool fencing techniques for the sake of safety:
- Climb proof. The fence would not be as useful if your kids or pets could simply climb over it. The pool fence must not have any handholds, footholds or any other features that would assist in climbing.
- Complete coverage. You would want the fence to cover the borders of the pool completely, leaving no gap. Ideally, it is best to install the fence on all four sides and maintain a height of at least four feet.
- Gate. There would be a gate amidst the fencing to access the pool. Keep the gate locked at all times when the pool is not in use. The latch of the gate must stay at least 56 inches above the ground, away from a child’s reach.
- Compact slat space. In case the fences have vertical slats, the slat spaces must be narrow enough that children or pets cannot squeeze through them. It is advisable to keep the slat spaces not more than four inches wide.
What are the types of pool fencing that you may install?
You can choose from various types of pool fencing, which vary in terms of aesthetics, perks and price. Some of the common options are:
- Glass: Glass fences offer a nice blend of style, durability and visibility. However, they are relatively more expensive and costlier to maintain.
- Wrought iron: For homeowners who are after style, wrought iron fencing is a viable option. These fences are available in various designs, but are prone to rust.
- Wood: Pool fencing made of wood is not only eco-friendly, but also aesthetically pleasing. Wood fencing is a great long-term solution but requires protection against pests.
- Mesh: Mesh is a very popular option as it is lightweight and easily removable. Mesh fences are also safe as it is almost impossible to climb these.
- Polycarbonate sheets: Fencing made of polycarbonate sheets is similar to glass fencing but with greater strength and durability.
- Chain link: Chain link pool fencing is very cheap. However, it is easy for pets to climb over these fences unless the openings are 1.75 inches or smaller.
You may get in touch with us at Superior Fence and Co. by giving us a call at (210) 600-3343. You can talk to our team about your requirements, who would then suggest a suitable fencing material.